Canadian Citizens wishing to visit Solomon Islands as Visitors are not required to apply for visitors visa in advance. Visas are issued at port of entry upon their arrival in Solomon Islands subject to traveller meeting the Immigration requirements. If you do not hold a Canadian Passport and are a permanent resident of Canada we encourage you contact us to verify visa requirement for your entry into Solomon Islands.

A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit the Solomon Islands. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected departure from the Solomon Islands. Canadians must also be in possession of onward/return tickets and proof of sufficient funds. Immigration laws are strictly enforced. Travellers may face fines or other penalties if they remain in the country beyond the authorised period.

Visitors to Solomon Islands

Visitors wishing to travel to Solomon Islands must satisfy the following requirements prior to travelling:
• Must be in possession of a valid passport or other valid travel documents
• An onward air ticket which can be used to travel from Solomon Islands to other countries which the visitor will be ask to enter.
• Must have sufficient funds to sustain himself/herself whilst in Solomon Islands.
• Must have valid visas to enter other countries (where required) from Solomon Islands.

If all these requirements are met, a visitor’s visa will be granted on arrival in by Immigration authorities.

Tourist Visa: Not required (for stays less than 90 days)
Business Visa: Not required (for stays less than 30 days)
Student Visa: Required

The following conditions apply to a visitor who is granted a visitor’s permit:

• 1. The visitor will not behave in a manner prejudicial to peace or good order;
• 2. The visitor will not engage in any business, profession or employment for reward or not unless with the approval of the Commissioner of Labour.
• 3. The visitor will not engage in any religious vocations except with the approval of the Minister for Immigration.
• 4. The visitor will not engage in research except with the approval of the Minister for Immigration.
• 5. Other conditions which the Director of Immigration may impose.

A visitor who is granted a visitor’s permit may during a period of 30 days engage in business, profession or employment without complying with condition 2 above if the business, profession or employment arises in the course of duties from his normal employment outside Solomon Islands. 
However, any visitor wishing to engage in any business, profession or employment during a period of over and above 30 days must comply with condition 2 above. 
A visitors permit entitles a visitor to remain in Solomon Islands for any period or periods in the aggregate, not exceeding three months in any period of twelve months. A visitor’s permit can be extended beyond the 3 months for a further period or aggregated period of up to 3 months provided there are special circumstances justifying the extension. A standard application form for extension needs to be filled up accompanied with a photograph of the applicant (passport photo) together with the required fee (appropriate fees, see column on Immigration fees). 
Before a visitor’s permit can be issued to a visitor who wishes to engage in any business, profession or employment for more than 30 days a work permit obtained from the Commissioner of Labour must be furnished to the Director of Immigration. Similarly a visitor who wishes to undertake research must also submit a research permit from the Education Minister or Department prior to a grant of a visitor’s permit.


A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A Canadian passport is the only document that will be accepted by the Solomon Islands Immigration Officials for travel purposes.
Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver’s licence, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport, may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.


There is no resident Canadian government office in the Solomon Islands. Canadians in the Solomon Islands can obtain consular assistance and further information from the Australian High Commission in Honiara (under the Canada-Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement) at the following address:

Solomon Islands – HONIARA, Australian High Commission
Address: Corner Hibiscus Avenue and Mud Alley, Honiara, Solomon Islands
Tel.: 677 21 561
Fax: 677 23 691

Canadians are encouraged to register with the Australian High Commission in Honiara.

The High Commission of Canada in Canberra, Australia, has consular responsibility for the Solomon Islands. The address is as follows:

Australia – CANBERRA, High Commission of Canada
Address: Commonwealth Avenue, Canberra ACT, Australia 2600
Tel.: 61 (2) 6270-4000
Fax: 61 (2) 6270-4060

For emergency assistance after hours, call the Australian High Commission in Honiara and follow the instructions. You may also make a collect call to the Department in Ottawa at 613-996-8885. ( Source Department of Foreign Affairs, Ottawa).

For more detailed information if you require a visa for travel please visit

Prior approval of the Director of Immigration may be obtained by contacting the Immigration Division at the following:
Phone: (677) 26902 or 22179
Fax: (677) 24870
Mailing Address: P O Box G26
, Solomon Islands.